- First soak the dried mushrooms in 1 litre of boiling water for 20 minutes. Strain the liquid and reserve, leaving the last couple of tablespoons as this will be gritty. Add the miso paste to the strained liquid and stir well to dissolve.
- Chop the mushrooms and add all the ingredients to the removable bowl.
- Add the reserved mushroom liquid and stir well.
- Cover and cook on High for 3 hours or Low for 4-5 hours until the barley is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the Parmesan, zest of lemon and some seasoning to taste, stir in a little extra hot water to loosen if required.
- Serve immediately.
- Great as a starter or a main course or even as an accompaniment to griddled steak or veggies.
3 hours on High, 4-5 hours on Low
- 60g dried wild mushrooms
- 200g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 250g pearl barley, rinsed
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 lemon, zest only
- Salt, to taste
- Rocket salad (optional)