- Place flour in the bowl and make a well in the centre
- To the centre, add the water, sourdough starter, fresh yeast, Nigella seeds and miso paste
- Mix all ingredients by hand until they are form a dough
- Place the dough onto a floured surface and knead by hand for approx. 5 minutes.
- Lightly brush a mixing bowl with olive oil and place the dough inside it, turn it over so the dough is oiled.
- Cover the bowl with a clean t-towel or a piece of oiled food wrap and leave it to rise for approx 30 mins.
- Whilst the dough is rising, line the Crockpot bowl with both foil and baking parchment around the sides and bottom of the bowl so that the bread does not burn. Turn on the Crockpot and allow to pre-heat for 30 minutes on High.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and place in the Crockpot. Place a t-towel underneath the lid before closing, this will catch any condensation.
- Cook it on High setting for 2 hours
- 500g spelt flour (or other, such as rye flour)
- 200ml water
- 25g Nigella seeds
- 80g miso paste
- 185g sourdough starter
- 10g fresh yeast (available from larger supermarkets own bakery counters)
- Olive oil
Sourdough cultures are readily available online. Use this to make the sourdough starter in our Miso Bread recipe