Tip – This recipe and the sauce can both be made in advance on Christmas Eve. Once cooked and cooled, cover with food wrap and refrigerate until required. To re-heat, wrap in foil and heat gently in a medium to hot oven for approx. 30 mins before serving. Can also be eaten cold with salad.
- Preheat the oven to 180c/160fan/Gas 4.
- Place the prepared squash into a baking tray, drizzle with 1 tbsp oil and roast for 20-25 minutes until golden and cooked through.
- Take half of the cooked squash, place into a small bowl, and using the back of a fork, squash until a puree is formed. Add the sumac, mix well and set aside.
- Select Brown/Sauté on the Crockpot Express and allow to heat.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp oil to the inner bowl, add the onion and sauté until beginning to soften, approx. 2 minutes. Add the garlic and stir fry for a further minute.
- Stir in the cumin, coriander, chilli, turmeric and cinnamon and cook briefly to release the flavours.
- Remove from the heat.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add the apricots, cranberries, lemon zest, fresh coriander, mint, pistachios, grains, flaxseeds and the roasted squash chunks and puree.
- Stir in the cooked onion mixture and a little salt and pepper.
- Pile into the prepared loaf tin and smooth the top
- Cut out a rectangle of baking parchment and a slightly bigger piece of foil.
- Cover the nut roast with the parchment and secure with the foil sheet crimping the edges around the loaf tin.
Tasty Tomato Sauce
- Heat a medium sized frying pan, add the oil and diced onion and sauté until softened and translucent, approx. 6-8 minutes over a gently heat
- Add the garlic, oregano, cinnamon, chilli and saffron and stir to combine, cook for a further 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Stir in the tomatoes and ½ can of water and simmer gently for approx. 15 minutes until the onions are cooked and the sauce has thickened.
- To achieve a smoother consistency, remove the cinnamon stick and blitz with a hand blender until smooth, adjust the seasoning and stir in the pomegranate molasses.