Dukkah is an Egyptian condiment based on chopped nuts and spices. It’s easy to make and can be used in the recipe below or as part of a side dish.
To make the Dukkah
- Heat a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add the sesame seeds, coriander and cumin and cook, stirring until golden, around 3 minutes. Add to a food processor or pestle and mortar, along with the hazelnuts, peppercorns, salt and thyme.
- Pulse or grind until coarsely chopped.
- Store in an airtight container.
To make the chicken
- Add all the ingredients except the white wine, treacle and the stockpot to a non-reactive bowl.
- Cover with clingfilm, refrigerate and allow to marinate at least overnight, ideally for 24 hours.
- When ready to cook, add the treacle, white wine and stockpot and gently mix to coat the chicken in the sauce. Place into the removable Crock-Pot bowl.
- Cover and cook on the Low for 5-6 hours or High for 4-5 hours until the chicken is cooked.
- When ready to serve, preheat your grill to high.
- Remove the chicken and place on the grill rack, brush the top sparingly with the mustard.
- Sprinkle over the dukkah to cover.
- Grill for 2-3 minutes until the dukkah is golden brown and the aromas are released.
- Whilst the chicken is under the grill, stir the parsley into the sauce.
- Delicious served with a fragrant couscous, flatbreads and a jug of sauce.